Introduction to Linux on PA-RISC
PA-RISC Linux porting project
Linux distributions for PA-RISC machines
| Oregon State University Open Source Lab
| Roberto C. Sánchez sponsored a HP rp3410 server with one 800 MHz PA8900 CPU. (May 2017)|
If you want to sponsor physical machines and/or hosting - please contact me
|Nov 2022||Installed new buildd servers "paladin" (a qemu-user emulation running Debian-x86 in VirtualBox on Windows).|
|Oct 2022||After 22 years the power supply in our A500-44 server (which was sponsored by HP) finally broke. It had hosted the ftp site and the mailing lists and was replaced by a x86-VM. Installed new buildd servers "pad" (a qemu-user emulation running Debian-x86 in VirtualBox on Windows) and "atlas" (physical C8000 machine).|
|Sep 2022||Lots of enhancements to the qemu-user emulation. Many of the debian buildd servers run now on x86 hardware which use qemu-user to build packages.|
|Aug 2022||New palo version 2.22 released, with support for booting without palo- or /boot paritions.
QEMU version 7.1.0 with many PA-RISC related enhancements and fixes has been released.
|Jun 2022||Sam James added seccomp support in unit files on HPPA to systemd v252 and worked on elfutils support for HPPA.|
John David Anglin helped to fix a glibc bug about broken argv adjustments
Mark Cave-Ayland provided lots of internal cleanups to the hppa PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse emulation in the upcoming QEMU v7.1 to bring the source code up to latest QEMU coding standards.
|May 2022||Linux kernel v5.18 released, includes vDSO-, CPU hotplug- and improved cache flushing support.|
QEMU v7.1: Fix X11 cursor emulation in HP-UX and allow emulated PS/2 keyboard input in firmware boot menu
QEMU v7.1: Fix serial port pass-through from host to guest
|Apr 2022||CPU Hotplug support added to Kernel v5.18.|
PALO v2.16 released. Prior versions didn't showed all available kernels when listing /boot directory at IPL menu.
|Mar 2022||A new set of debian-hppa installation medias for debian unstable provided by Adrian Glaubitz.|
|Feb 2022||Many Qemu patches were applied to improve HP-UX graphics and mouse, allows up to 16 vCPUs, TOC support and much more. See our Qemu page.|
|Jan 2022||Kernel v5.16 released, with as many parisc enhancements and patches than never before!|
|Dec 2021||Richard Henderson and Helge Deller fix a mis-translation of the stby assembly instruction in Qemu.|
Multiple important kernel fixes by Dave Anglin.
|Nov 2021||Sven fixes a long-standing endianess bug in midnight commander which hangs the console when using F10 to exit.|
|Sep 2021||Starting with Linux kernel 5.15, you will need to specify "ARCH=parisc64" on the command line when bulding a 64-bit kernel.|
|Jul 2021||The power supply of our old A400 server ("parisc") broke and got replaced. Machine is now back up again.|
|Feb 2021||Various fixes (e.g. 12) for qemu v5.2 to further improve qemu-user emulation.|
Switch to a faster page table locking mechanism with Linux kernel v5.12.
|Jan 2021||PALO v2.15 released.
New parisc Debian build server "pasta", which runs in a qemu-user parisc chroot environment on a x86-64 virtual machine with 8 CPUs and 16GB RAM. Many thanks to the OSU Open Source Lab who sponsors this VM!
|1998-2020||See PA-RISC_Linux_Project_History for older news.|
How to install PARISC Linux
- Technical Documentation - Hardware and platform documents
- Overview_HP9000_Workstation_and_Servers - Overview of HP9000 Servers and Workstations
- LinuxKernel - Implementation details of Linux kernel on parisc
- Specific Documentation about the PA-RISC Linux port
- Debian Buildpackages - how to build debian packages for parisc
- TestCases - To be checked testcases which produced problems in the past
- Running HP-UX 9.0 on virtual HP9000/370 with MAME
- Hidden B/C/J Class Manufacturer and DEBUG commands
- Repairing a non-starting C240/C360 Power supply
- C8000 Debug connector
- http://www.openpa.net/index.html - The OpenPA Project
- http://www.wikiwand.com/en/HP_9000 and http://www.wikiwand.com/en/PA-RISC - Good overview of PA-RISC, HP-UX, CDE, ...
- http://web.archive.org/web/20040202003152/http://www.cpus.hp.com/technical_references/parisc.shtml - Historic PA-RISC Documentation from HP.com (2004)
- http://www.3kranger.com/HP3000/mpeix/hard.shtm#PA-RISC - PA-RISC arch & HP3000 docs
- http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/ - Debian HPPA port page
- http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-hppa.xml - Gentoo HPPA Handbook
- http://www.hpmuseum.net/collection_document.php - HP Computer Museum
- http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/dev/hp9000_840/ - Uni Stuttgart Computermuseum - HP 9000/840 (first PA-RISC machine)
- http://tenox.pdp-11.ru/hpux/ - HP/UX ressources
- http://www.mach-linux.org/ - OSF Mach-Linux
- http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/hp_unix.html - UnixNerds/HPUX
- https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/awesome-cpus - All CPUs documented
- http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git - Helge's PARISC Linux Kernel git tree
- https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-parisc/list - PARISC Linux Patchwork
- http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/palo.git - PALO boot loader source code